Thursday, July 12, 2007

Concerning Ants




Tiny, but proportionally bearing superhero powers, the ant is usually the recipient of shoe attacks and chemical warfare not only in our backyards, but around the globe. I too take part in the efforts towards species extinction of many different species of ants and have sworn to take the issue up with God on the day of judgement. "What's up with ants anyway?"

In Africa, ant troops have been known (I'm not making this up) to swarm into houses and carry human babies away, eating as they go.

In Australia, the Juming Jack ant can leap up to 2-3 feet in an effort to bite and KILL an unsuspecting victim....that means you buddy.

So given the alternative, I'll take the good ole South American imported fire ant anyday of the week. Yes that's right....the land of the free would have been free also of fire ants were it not for careless cargo ships bringing goods from South America into the gulf coast. That's how we got both the red and black fireants.

As we speak there are probably hundreds of these little guys hanging out in my house.....in the walls...under my kitchen counter. Lately K-Time and I have had our house become infested with them. When we got back from our Anniversary trip to the beach, there was a strong line of them coming out of the wall where our kitchen counter meets the wall and moving into the sink....where we had left one plate with a tiny crumb on it. I bought that Ortho Home Defense stuff and have been declaring martial law on any ant I come in contact with.

So in an effort to pay homage to the hundreds of ants I've brutally murdered under foot, finger, or death spray, I'll say this for the little guys.
1) They are team players.
2) They can smell better than my dogs.
3) They can carry stuff WAY bigger than they are.
4) It sucks when they bite you.
5) They're like Frodo....small but capable of making a huge difference.

So when you go out today and see that mound in the yard or a line of ants moving towards some food item, think about all the cool things about them before you stomp their lights out.....but please....don't refrain from stomping (or spraying) their lights out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAHOO !!!! ant stomping here I come! I would love to read mroe about the ants that attack people in africa and carry out babies . . . or the jumping ant, do you have any online resources for those? (what can i say, I might be bored during the day . . .)

Jeff and Kelley said...

There seems to be quite a bit of general info on Wikipedia and a few other privately hosted sites. Look up "bulldog ant", "jack jumper ant", "jumping jack ant", and "hopper ant" in google. I think I may have over exaggerated their jumping distance, but I'll just claim poetic license on that.
Crazy guys.

Jeff and Kelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff and Kelley said...

Check out this website for some crazy talk about the African ants.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/features/268feature1.shtml