Wednesday, May 16, 2007

...The smell of a wet dog...

Today I took the dogs fishing and, of course, Jack and Camden HAD to jump in the water.
Jack chased a couple of geese across the pond which was hillarious and Camden in her reserved state just sat in the water and watched. I usually have problems getting them in the canoe when I fish, but today, both of them jumped right in the boat and were ready to go.
Every time I caught a fish, Jack couldn't stand it....he had to stand up in the boat and come over and try and bite the fish. He always gets rowdy even when I cast. It's so cool watching his face because he knows that when I throw that spinner bait out, there will most likely be a floppy green thing with a big mouth and point fins that comes back attached to it. I don't know how far I would go to say he's "smart", but he definitely understands cause and effect. And with fishing, he LOVES the effect!

The best thing was getting back in the old '78 Ford....that had been warmed by the afternoon sun......the dogs soaked and sitting beside me on the bench...and that smell hit me in the nose like a jab in a prize fight. Sometimes we get the privalege of experiencing life in it's beautiful simplicity. For me today....fishing with the dogs...Seeing their excitement when a fish was brought into the boat...breathing in deep the unique stench that filled up the hot cab of the ugly truck when we were heading back home....and smiling the whole time.


there's nothing like...the smell of a wet dog...

2 comments:

Mark Horner said...

I cannot bear the smell of a wet dog...consequently, I do not own one, nor am I the author of this blog. ;) But nice, nonetheless.

Mark Horner said...

P.S. "UAC" is me, Mark Horner. Just in case there was this vast confusion.