Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The light at the end of Columbia



Sorry for the cell phone image, but I think it's kind of fitting for this post.

The spring time is in full effect and the school year is winding down...and finishing up pretty quickly at that I might add.
My bio class is taking their EOC (end of course exam) this Thursday and that basically means that we have a whopping 2 weeks left in class before summer is official. In my anatomy classes, I'll have to turn in grades for seniors by THIS Friday. THIS FRIDAY! normally I'd be siked as all get out, but right now, I'm experiencing some mixed emotions. On one hand, these are my last 2-3 weeks at Spring Valley High School EVER! On the other hand, these are my last 2-3 weeks at Spring Valley High School...ever...you know what I mean. There's the wonderful excitement of heading to New Mexico that is intimately coupled with the fact that I'll miss all the wonderful people I've worked with.

A great cure for mixed emotions over the past couple of days has been the fact that my wife is increasingly pregnant. I've been really happy to help her out at home as she's been feeling pretty lousy with morning sickness. Interestingly enough though, she's seemed to be really happy through it all...I'm not sure if it's simply with the excitement of the baby to come...or with the excitement of the baby to come in a completely new and adventurous home for us in New Mexico. Either way, it's really cool to have her this upbeat through all the physical discomfort.

A second thing that has been helping my mixed emotions is the great motorcycle rides I've been on lately. The picture above is from a pretty short ride I took the other night into the northeast countryside of Columbia. Pretty cool. I also went out towards Boykin 2 days ago on the bike. Sunny...windy...and riding through fields of wheat on the back country roads was just amazing.

So the instant gratification of the bike rides and the life-changing anticipation of our child-to-be are carrying me through as I finish up what has been an amazing 4 years in Columbia.

No comments: