Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dreaming Big - also slack lining and Tai Chi




Ok...so this is NOT me...but maybe it will be one day. Over the past couple of days I've been practicing what seems to be a growing pass-time among an interesting culture of miscrients...called slack lining.

A good friend of mine (Scott) got me into it and I have to admit it's addicting. Essentially you take some 1-inch tubular webbing, string it up between some trees and "give it a go", meaning try and walk across that thin strip of seat belt material! I ended up putting up a "training rope" above my head that ran the length of the slack line just to help me get the technique down. It worked really well and I feel almost slightly confident on the slack line now.

The fun thing is how it is great training for Tai Chi. The other night when I was teaching a Tai Chi class I acutally took my slack line and we worked as a group helping people figure out how to keep their balance on the line. When we went back inside the studio to do some balancing drills and our forms, the improvement in the students was amazing.

Interestingly enough it is also very theraputic. For some reason the required focus on the line gives me a bit of clarity and relaxation that rivals my tai chi training. Maybe if I keep at it, I'll include it on my next excursion to Devil's Cellar in Linville Gorge,...or since we're heading out west, maybe I'll find a nice deep slot canyon to slack line over!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't know, i think kelley would kill you or seriously maim you before you slack lined across a canyon . . . unless you harnessed into it so that if you fell, you wouldn't REALYL fall . . you know? just fake fall . . .