Sunday, March 15, 2009

Yellowstone Journal - 3/7/2009
















Traveling through Wyoming after leaving Denver at 5:45am. A dusting of snow covered southern Wyoming up until Douglas.
















We have to continue into Montana and enter Yellowstone from the northern entrance because the southern routes are closed for the winter. The total trip is ~1200 miles and we've currently gone 573 of them. We hope to make our Mammoth Springs base camp by 6pm.

- - - We actually arrived at 5:15pm, set camp and met with Merideth and Tory (our guides) who, with the help of their friends, had a wonderful dinner of beef stew prepared for us.



















After some camp games and briefing time, we all bedded down. Tomorrow is the change to Daylight Savings and we leave base camp at 7am to travel to Lamar Valley to start our wolf observation. We are scheduled to ski after that.


















- - -I can now feel myself slowing down a bit mentally...in a good way...preparing myself to listen to what this amazing place has to offer. The wind rattles my tent as the waxing moon shines down from the star-scattered sky. The earth groans all around me with life...but also with a sense of urgency and possibly even resentment. Even this place that Teddy Roosevelt tried so hard to preserve is endangered by human impact, both near & far...physically, spiritually, politically.

This week I will listen. I will give ear to what this land wants to say, and I will carry its words back to others who will listen.

1 comment:

Trip said...

What did you hear in this magnificent place?