Friday, February 15, 2008

High Fidelity


So I just saw High Fidelity last week with John Cusack and Jack Black.

I've grown to respect John Cusack a lot over the past few films I've seen him in. He has a real easy way about his acting, and in High Fidelity, it was done a bit like Ferris Bueller...direct camera delivery from the main character as the story progresses.

Really good movie. One of the cool things I took from the movie was how music can truly be such a soundtrack for our lives if we let it.

So since I was broke on Valentine's day (and since both Kelley and I don't put too much stock in a national holiday for balloons, flowers, and chocolate) I made K-time a "mix tape". It was really just a playlist for her iPod, but the songs told a bit of a story of us over the past year.

Putting together the right playlist truly is just as much of an art as writing your own song. You've got to pick tunes that say what you want musically as well as lyrically for your specific situation. For Kelley's playlist I narrowed down her iTunes library to about 50 songs to choose from. The final list was 17 songs and took me through an emotional rollercoaster that let me relive the past year of our lives as I listened to the music. Pretty cool.

So now we're off into the freedom of a 3 day weekend...and I'm interested to see where the music will take us.

2 comments:

Mark Horner said...

This post makes me think of the Christmas album of my favorite tunes I put together for a friend a few years ago...you're absolutely right; the sequence of the tracks is almost more important than the songs themselves. I think you know you've got it right when they seem to flow seamlessly from one to the next.

Anyway, happy listening.
MBH

Mark Horner said...

Saw James Taylor on PBS last night, singing "Carolina," and thought of you...and of all those forever Furman memories.

(Greatest picture of you ever on your facebook, btw.)

Austin died last night, so I'm lonely and nostalgic. Anyway, hope you're well.
M