Thursday, May 20, 2010

Backyard Boots



The old cliche about how having a kid will change your life really is true. When I used to hear that as a teenager or even in my 20's (yeah...that's right...I'm now one of the 30-something crowd), I would always hear it with negativity. It's almost like the line was strategically delivered to emphasize the parts of you that could no longer exist once you have a kid instead of open your eyes to the new possibilities that non-parenthood doesn't understand or enjoy.

Case-in-point is this picture.

My days as a science teacher have been a bit stressful lately. Nothing serious or anything, just the typical public high school blues that make me really enjoy my homelife. In the afternoons lately, Moira and I will walk down to the garden and "check the specs" on what plants are doing well and which ones are not. We thin out the pear trees together (she loves throwing the premature pears that I pull off of the tree), inspect the squash, marvel at the height of the sunflowers, and get frustrated together at how bad our tomato plants are doing. She doesn't really care about the tomatos, but I like to think of it as a group effort...you know?

She loves to wear her boots when we head to the garden. She'll come up to you and say "boot on?!" and hold out her rubber boots. She'll then say her version of "garden" and...almost like magic...the blues of the school day are gone for good.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Isn't amazing how such little things that your kids do can just change your day! The garden is looking good.