Thursday, October 15, 2009

Wednesday Afternoon Fly Fishing at UWC

So this fall term has been a very busy one for sure at the UWC. I'm involved in residential life for the first time, which means doing dorm check at 9:30pm two nights a week. I'm also running 3 club activities: Tai Chi, Fly Fishing, and Medical Club.

My classes have been pretty active this term and I've been busy grading, teaching, doing field work, and improving (I think) at the art of teaching IB biology.

Wednesday afternoons are a much-needed escape for me. Fly Fishing meets from 3-5:30pm. We bus about 20min. west on the Gallinas river to some private property and have a go at catching trout with lures that we tie ourselves. There are a couple of ponds there in addition to the river where students can practice catching some monster trout. River fishing is much more delicate and technical. There are big fish there, but they are picky eaters for sure.

Yesterday, I fished with:

Prince Nymph - caught the biggest Rainbow trout of my life in the river (~2.5 lbs)
Wire Caddis Nymph - caught a big Rainbow in the pond
Hot Butt Caddis Dry Fly - caught 2 brown trout in the river...good size, but not big. Caught them both on casts that were about 50 feet in length.


Some thoughts from the river:

Wind blows through the grass
Mountains rise in strong circumference around the gentle Gallinas
I become the fish I seek.

2 comments:

Trip said...

Nice post. Let's us see you in your world. Wow on the big rainbow.

Tim O'Keefe said...

Hey Man! I played with Travis last weekend at Eastlake. I didn't get to know him well but he told me that he knows you and, well, you know, he must be a cool guy if he is a friend of yours. that guy can play! He's real modest too. Anyway, he mentioned that you might have some changes coming up in your life. Lemme know if you are going to be dropping by. You won't believe the new digs at CFI. Cool stuff. I hope this finds you and the ones you love happy and well.

Peace - Tim O'Keefe